FAQs and Advantages of Hiring Your Place Property Management
This is a brief explanation of our extensive management system. Feel free to
contact us anytime if you have any questions about your specific property that
you would like to discuss with a property manager. We would also be happy to
tour your property and discuss your options.
Complete Tenant Screening
This is the most important service to compare when shopping for a property manager.
A thorough screening process is crucial to avoid costly mistakes with your property.
A bad tenant can be very expensive due to lost rent, extra time spent dealing with
them, and damage to the property. While no background check can completely eliminate
the risk of a problem tenant, our thorough examination of their rental and payment
history can significantly reduce your risk. Once the potential tenants complete an
application we check the following items:
- Verify photo identification on every applicant over 18 years of age
- Extensive national and state background, sex offender, terrorist, and criminal check
- We pull a detailed copy of their credit report with score and full payment history
- Review any accounts they have in collections and if judgments have been filled
- We check to see if the applicant has had an eviction filed against them
- Contact their employer to confirm their source of income
- If they are self-employed we ask for copies of their tax return and a current bank statement
- We confirm their rental history
- Ask past landlords specific questions about payment history, property condition, and any nuisance issues
- While no one can discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, age, national origin, or familial status we can discriminate on the basis of credit and rental history
Screening is the most important service a property manager provides. We apply
our "owner mentality' to this process. If we wouldn't let a questionable person
rent one of our own properties, then we definitely wouldn't let them rent yours.
No Binding Contract & Satisfaction Guarantee.
Either party in our management agreement can cancel the agreement with a 30-day notice with
or without cause. We maintain an owner retention rate above 96 percent. We like happy customers
and do our best to keep them that way. We want them to use our services because it works for
them NOT because they are tied to a contract. We require that our entire management team provide
you and your tenants with prompt and satisfactory service. If you ever have a question or concern,
you can contact us at any time. If you are not satisfied with our service, we will allow you out
of your contract, free of penalties and fees.
Q: How do you determine the rental price?
A: We run rental comparable for your property and area and use that information
to determine a starting price. Then we track the number of calls, showings, and
applications we receive and review the listings and prices weekly to make adjustments
as needed. This way we are able to get the property rented quickly and at a good market
price. If your property is listed too high then it will take longer to rent and
in most cases the extra rent you were trying to get was lost in the time the
property was vacant.
Some owners want to increase the rent to cover their mortgage. It is great when
we are able to do this but please understand that your mortgage payment has little
to do with the rental market. Our system is set up to make your renting experience
as lucrative as possible in current market conditions, and NOT to waste time sitting vacant.
Q: What about pets?
A: Owners can specify if they will allow pets or not in their property. Here is some
information to help you make that decision: Over 60 percent of renters have pets. If
an owner chooses to not allow pets it may take a little longer to rent the property,
but they lower their risk of having damages caused by a pet. If the owner allows pets
we recommend a limit of 2 pets and weight restrictions based on the size of the property.
We also recommend $300 to $500 per pet additional deposit. Our inspection process always
includes a thorough search for pet damage and smell. We have found through years of
screening potential tenants that pets typically match their owners. Good clean people
have good clean pets.
*It should be noted that if a tenant has proper documentation for a companion animal
as allowed in the Fair Housing Act then we are obligated to allow these animals. The
tenant is still responsible for any damages caused by the animal.
Q: Can I reach you after hours?
A: Our team works vigorously on your behalf. We are available during normal
business hours and after hours emergencies are handled by our highly trained
24 hour answering service.
Q: Can you put the money directly into my account?
A: Of course! We collect all payments from the tenant. All rents and other
payments are deposited into a secure trust account. We will deduct our management
fee and any other expenses that have been authorized and we send the balance to you.
We post statements and process payments by the 15th of each month. Payments are sent
to owners by direct deposit and statements are sent by e-mail and/or accessed
through your web portal. Owners can access custom reports and previous statements
Q: Do I get to see the lease or sign it?
A: Absolutely! Our customized lease goes far above template leases that many
other management companies use. Created on your behalf, with your best interests in mind.
We provide our lease preparation at no additional charge to you.
Q: How long will it take to rent my property?
A: Our entire team meets weekly to review each vacant property. If a property is not
rented within 30 days it is typically due to price, presentation, and/or exposure.
Our management system addresses each of these factors:
- Price: We will recommend a rental price based on comparable in the current market with a goal of having it rented within 30 days. We track the number of calls, showings, and applications for each vacant property. With this data we are able to adjust the price as needed.
- Presentation: We will make recommendations based on our experience, and feedback from showings. If the property needs more cleaning or other improvements that will help the presentation, we will discuss these items with you.
- Professional Photography: Most companies require their agents to take marketing photos with their cellphones. At Mauzy Properties we use a professional photographer for your property photos. Take a look at our listings and compare them to any other company, we will present your property better than anyone else.
- Exposure: We give our vacant properties maximum exposure through our marketing program. Including over 30 paid and free websites, local media, tenant referral program, yard signs, and our own top ranking website. More exposure gives us more options for screening for good tenants, less time vacant, and increased rental income.
We do not make money on vacant properties. Most owners who have switched
to our system have seen a decline in their vacancy rates.
Q: How is rent collection handled?
A: All rental collection payments are handled electronically. Tenants are
instructed to pay their rent through their dedicated tenant portal which
allows us to monitor all payments and track payment history and assess late
fees when required.
Q: How long of a lease do you sign?
A: Leases are typically signed for a minimum of 12 months, however,
a longer or shorter lease term can always be negotiated with a tenant.
Q: How much security deposit do you charge the tenant?
A: A security deposit in the amount of one month’s rent is most typical.
Depending on factors such as credit, income, and pet security, this amount
can also be negotiated with a prospective tenant. We will discuss your
options and make suggestions on what a reasonable security deposit would
be based on these factors.
Q: Who holds the tenant security deposit?
A: Most typically, we will hold the tenant security deposit on your behalf
in our trust account. When a property is vacated, this allows us to arrange
any repairs and itemize those costs to deduct them from the tenant security
deposit. Once completed, the tenant is sent the balance of the security
deposit along with copies of paid receipts for any deductions as required by law.
Q: Do I get to approve maintenance?
A: Yes. Some owners want to be contacted about every maintenance issue
while others only want to know about major items. To accommodate our owners
we have a maintenance approval amount that can be adjusted if necessary. The
standard amount is $100. This means that if the repair is going to be under
$100 we will take care of the issue, keep your tenants happy, and you will
see it documented on your statement. If the repair is going to be over $100
then we contact you to discuss the options and get approval. Our vendors
know to look for warranties when possible. We also negotiate better prices
and service with our volume and experience. In some cases we do not know
the cost to repair an item until it is diagnosed. Once the issue is
diagnosed we contact you with details and the estimated costs.
Ready to Rent?
What needs to be done to get my property ready to rent?
Good clean properties attract good clean people. We prefer to give a property
to a tenant in great condition. This way we can hold the tenants responsible to
keep the property in that same condition. Here is a list of what should be done
before the property is rented. If you have any questions or need help
coordinating any of these items just let us know.
- Entire premises should be clean and ready for someone to move in
- Carpets should be cleaned professionally
- There should be no unusual odors
- All plumbing fixtures should be functioning without leaks or drips
- Caulk any cracks or gaps around plumbing fixtures
- Window treatments should be clean and in working order
- Appliances should be in good working order
- All furniture should be removed
- All electrical outlets and switches need to have cover plates
- New filter in heating system
- Smoke alarms must be working
- All light fixtures and bulbs should be working
- All personal items and trash should be removed from the property including the attic and storage areas
- Exterior door locks should all function and have keys
- Lawn should be in good condition and trees trimmed away from property
Sounds great! What’s next?
Once we have spoken to you about your specific property, and determined if our management
system will work for you, we will send you a management agreement and complete a property
data sheet. We can get most properties into our marketing system within 24-48 hours of
receiving the signed agreement. Here is the basic process:
- With the management agreement you will get a property data sheet. You can fill this out and your property manager will review it with you, or your property manager can complete this during a property tour or over the phone.
- We can advise you on any issues that may limit the property's rental potential.
- If you are switching from another management company we will handle all of the details and coordinate the turnover, notify the tenants, and gather all the necessary information.
- We will need to get keys, any current tenant paperwork and contact information.
- We will get the vacancies into our marketing system immediately and begin showing the property.
- We will get the utilities properly set up if necessary.